Reflections on blogging
Here are some of things I learned along the way:
- Blogging is an awesome way to learn. When you actually write for other people, it really forces you to know your stuff. This extra consideration is great motivation.
- dev.to has an awesome API. At first, I was copying and pasting articles between dev.to and my website. But with this API you can simply just fetch the article from your site and load it dynamically.
- It's super interesting which kind of articles get the most engagement. Here are my top 5 posts this year:
- 1,461 views: How SVGs can be dangerous
- 1,374 views: addEventListener "once"
- 940 views: Symbols Are Your Friend Part I: A Gentle Introduction
- 312 views: clearTimeout and clearInterval Are Interchangeable!
- 230 views: Symbols Are Your Friend Part III: Symbol.iterator
- Just writing once a week can feel like a chore after a while. I'm in awe of those who can keep it up regularly.
- Despite this, I never felt there was a lack of topics, even excluding JS frameworks and libraries. There's so much to learn about even just the base language and I truly believe this is the best way to grow stronger as a dev.
So what's the plan for the future? Well, I think I'll continue blogging at my own pace - whenever an interesting topic crosses my mind. 🙂 I also plan on learning more about the latest VueJS updates as well as finding opportunities for mentoring.
Thanks everyone for reading and Happy New Year! 🍾